After a long day at school, children are often very tired and hungry! At our tutoring centre in Bondi Junction, we want learning to be an enjoyable experience for your child and that is why we provide healthy after-school snacks for our kids! This has proven to help with their focus and concentration, resulting in improved progress and an overall better work ethic. Improving nutrition increases brain function and ensures that your child enjoys their learning. At our tutoring centre in Bondi Junction, we definitely notice the difference when our children have had their afternoon snack! Do you ever find that your child gets distracted easily when attempting to do their homework?
Today, junk food is indeed a quick and easy option when it comes to providing after-school snacks for your child. At our tutoring centre in Bondi Junction, we emphasise how important it is to consider the scary side effects of unhealthy food for your child’s growth and development. Eating healthily will allow children to develop good eating habits from a young age. Children need to be aware of the importance of healthy eating from a young age.
Our tutoring centre in Bondi Junction have compiled the harmful effects of junk food after school.
- a lack of energy and fatigue
- poor concentration and lack of focus
- a sugar high and then a sugar crash
- your child to develop a poor sleep pattern (sugary drinks containing caffeine)
- irritability as blood sugar levels fluctuate
- restlessness and fidgeting
For all of the above reasons, it is easy to see how unhealthy snacks have a detrimental effect on school work and after-school tutoring here in Bondi Junction. It is therefore very important that children have healthy food from breakfast, right through to dinner to ensure they have a successful day at school. So what type of foods do our children need to succeed?
Here are just a few healthy lunch box ideas, that our tutoring centre in Bondi Junction have put together:
Dairy: the foods in this group are excellent sources of calcium, which is important for strong, healthy bones.
Fruit: provides vitamins, minerals, and fibre, that help your body stay healthy.
Grain (cereal) foods: always choose whole grain and/or high fibre varieties of breads, cereals, rice, pasta, noodles, etc.
Lean meats and poultry, fish, eggs, nuts and seeds: protein builds, maintains, and repairs the tissues in our body.
Vegetables and beans: provide vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre to help your body stay healthy.
What types of food are considered to be ‘brain food’ for kids? At our tutoring centre in Bondi Junction, we believe that:
- Salmon – essential for brain growth and function.
- Eggs- egg yolks are also packed with choline, which helps memory development.
- Peanut butter – a good source of vitamin E, a potent antioxidant that protects nervous membranes
- Oats – Oats provide excellent energy or fuel for the brain that kids need first thing in the morning.
- Berries- Berries boast high levels of antioxidants, especially vitamin C,
- Beans – they keep a child’s energy and thinking level at peak all afternoon
- Colourful veggies, e.g. carrots, spinach etc. best sources of antioxidants that keep brain cells strong and healthy
- Wholegrains: Whole grains also have B-vitamins, which nourish a healthy nervous system.
Our teachers in our tutoring centre in Bondi Junction believe, it’s never too late to start introducing your child to these foods. After all, healthy, nutritious food is key to helping your child to focus and concentrate throughout the day! Come to our tutoring centre in Bondi Junction and check out our healthy snacks at our ‘Snack Station’!